Over the past year and a half, i’ve made some pretty important changes in my life regarding a few things:
- i stopped being beauty product that were tested on animals
- i stopped buying leather (never bought fur so didn’t have to stop)
- i progressively decluttered every single part of my home (besides my sweetheart belongings, he loves everything he owns and is a collector!)
- i successively stopped eating meat, fish, eggs and most dairies (i’m in my final step of getting rid of milk, which will be done by the end of the month, that’s my final goal regarding my transition to veganism!)
- i decided to throw myself into very important professional projects, and so far managed to stay very motivated!
I’m extremely proud of these accomplishment obviously but in the midst of all this, one thing i haven’t successfully managed, is to stop spending too much money, and start consuming differently.
I always had trouble keeping my expenses under control and no matter what i do i always end up in debit before the middle of the month. I have an Excel sheet for every month to organize and plan my expenses, i check my bank account balance almost every day, i made budgets for everything and yet, i still manage to spend more than i earn.
Now i don’t spend on random stupid things that i regret the next day. I do love and use most of the things i buy myself. But i don’t NEED them. And of course i’m not saying you should buy only stuff you need and never please yourself with something useless and pretty, i do that quite often! But i think that it’s something you should feel free to do when you have a bit of money on the side reserved for that. I can’t even tell you how many times i dedicated the tiny amount of “extra” money i had that month to get myself a little something and then had an unexpected bill coming up just a few days later that got me in the red zone with my bank. That actually happened just few days ago again and the anxiety attack i had because of it, really achieved to convince me that it was time to change my way to spend money…
I’m the kind of person that gets really bad anxiety over money issues and to me it’s just basic logic and self preservation to try and fix something that triggers such an awful state of mind for me. So i’m getting ready for a little personal challenge yet again! I decided to take a shopping ban for at least the next 3 months! During that time the only purchases i’ll be allowed to make are the followings:
- One hat for my holidays next week: i really need extra protection from the sun and i’ll be in the south of France so it’s considered vital expense really!
- 1 pair of sandals: That’s a maybe but my last pair is starting to fall appart so they might not resist all the walking around during my vacations, we’ll cross fingers and see.
- Birthday gift for my mum in August
Besides that, NO MORE SHOPPING! I need to have more willpower and i know i can!
Anyone would like to join in? Maybe we could support each other in this! Have you ever done a drastic challenge of that sort before? Let me know because i’m actually a bit nervous and would love to hear your experiences!